Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Homeschooling

I have mentioned a few times on here that we have been thinking about homeschooling Caleb. I feel that this is something the Lords wants us to do and I will be teaching Caleb at home next year. Not that I feel like I need to justify my decision, but I would like to explain how we were led in this direction.

First, I wholeheartedly believe we are doing God's will. Although homeschooling was always an option, I never (until now) thought it was going to be something we truly considered. This decision is the closest I can come to describing an "act of God". In the span of a week, I went from dreading an upcoming school holiday (where I would have all three children to take care of) to planning curriculum. WOW!

One of our first concerns with the public school system this year was academics. Don't get me wrong, our county is great and I feel that Caleb goes to one of the best schools, but it was still not enough for him this year. He is an advanced reader (truly a gift from God because I did not teach him), and is reading approximately two levels above his class. His teacher simply does not have the time to challenge him. This year he has been bored which has led to a discipline problem. At home, we can move as fast (or slow) as he needs. This year, he has also lost the desire to read and I can't wait to ignite that passion in him again.

Next, we did not like to see the change in Caleb's behavior. As the year has progressed, he has become more disrespectful and is using inappropriate language. We do not believe that teaching him at home will create a "perfect child" but I do want to see more of our values and beliefs reflected in his behavior.

Proverbs 22:6
Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

Romans 12:2
Do not be conformed to this world, but continually be transformed by the renewing of your minds so that you may be able to determine what God's will is-what is proper, pleasing, and perfect.

I understand that this will be one of the hardest things I ever do. I worry that I am not smart enough (demonstrated by my spelling and grammar on this blog, ha ha). I worry that Caleb will miss out on experiences that I enjoyed so much growing up. But my prayer is that we continue to stay in God's will, that He gives me the strength to carry on and the wisdom to impart to my children. I pray that through this experience, I grow even closer to my amazing boys.

If you would like to follow along with our adventure, check in with us on our new homeschool blog. Baby Gator University - don't you just love the name :) I will keep a link up over to the right so you can check us out anytime.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are going to do a GREAT job. . .i have no doubts. and yes. . .i do love the name. hahahaha!!

can't BELIEVE how big micah has gotten!!

jenny winstead said...

i LOVE the name! i think you will be an awesome teacher. i, on the other hand, need discipline when it comes to helping cole w/ his homework. i have ZERO patience. :-/

congratS!

Christy said...

I can't wait!!!

Thanks for the tip on My Father's World. I looked into the Kindergarten curriculum and thought it was too easy-I need to look into the other grade levels because now that I have looked at it online I am intrigued...

Oh, and I am right there with you on not feeling smart enough! That is where God will step in! And our teacher books...HA!