Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Our Journey to Healthy Eating Part 2: Menu


One of the first questions I've gotten is about recipes. I am going to post our menu for this week with as many recipe links as possible. All of the blog/websites I've linked are awesome!

Note: in recipes all the flour is fresh ground whole wheat, and the only sugars I use are pure maple syrup, raw honey and sucanat. See this post from Heavenly Homemakers on adapting recipes.

Breakfasts: Maple Ginger Pancakes, Kashi Go-Lean cereal (a processed food we are having trouble saying good-bye to), Baked Oatmeal, and whole wheat bagels.

Lunch: PB&J sandwiches (homemade honey whole wheat bread, natural peanut butter and all fruit spread), whole wheat pasta with cheese, grilled cheese, and leftovers.

Snacks: Fruit, Whole wheat soft pretzels, Larabars (our favorite!!)

Dinners:
Sunday: Whole chicken cooked on grill with sticky chicken seasoning, roasted potatoes, roasted cauliflower
Monday: Lentil Minestrone Soup (made from homemade stock from chicken bones from previous night), corn bread (from fresh ground corn meal).
Tuesday: BBQ chicken sandwiches (homemade BBQ sauce, homemade whole wheat buns, and leftover chicken from Sunday), coleslaw, baked french fries.
Wednesday: refried bean tacos with whole wheat tortillas with homemade salsa.
Thursday: Pumpkin French Toast with fruit.
Friday: Homemade pizza with veggies.
Saturday: Leftovers/helpy selfy

*I will post more about our budget and how I keep it under $150/week but a few tips from this week: you can see that I only purchased one protein and used it for 3 meals, I use beans as a cheap protein, and we also have breakfast for dinner once a week.
*I usually have a baking day on Saturday when I bake and freeze most of our baked goods for the week. The pancakes, bagels, and pretzels are things that are taken from the freezer throughout the week.

More to come!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipes Erin! I forgot to sign my last comment and wasn't sure if you knew who it was (Susan Jefcoat). I started reading the Healthy Living book last night and it is very informative. Keep blogging so I can keep learning...PLEASE!!!