Sunday, August 17, 2008

The first days of cloth diapers

I know a few people are wondering how our adventure in cloth diapers is going. I just started using them part-time on Thursday. We are using them part-time for now because Jonah's circumcision "bell" has not fallen off yet and still needs antibiotic ointment 3 times a day (can't be used on cloth).

So far I am loving them! I know it may sound strange but I am looking forward to diaper changes so that I can "practice". I didn't think the prefold diapers (old fashioned type) took that long to learn how to use. The pocket diapers are so very easy. I am also using cloth wipes that I am really loving. I have done my first load of diaper laundry and it was completely painless. Oh, and I have not had one leak or blowout in the cloth diapers and probably 5 in the disposables.

Here are some pictures of Jonah's first cloth diapers.

Jonah in a newborn prefold without a cover.


Newborn prefold with a Thirsties cover.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've only been considering the all-in-one's or the pocket diapers...You would really have to sell me on the prefolds. What is that keeping it closed and on?

Gator Mommy said...

Brie,
The prefolds really have not been that bad at all. The reason I picked them to make up the majority of my stash is because they are so very cheap and easy to wash. The thing that is keeping them closed is called a Snappy very easy to use- I don't think I could ever use pins. Let me know if you have more questions :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Erin! I 'tagged' you in my last blog! I know, like you're not busy enough right now...

Gail said...

Hi - I know you don't know me, but I know Suzanne Barnette from high school and saw your posting title on her blog. I've used cloth diapers with my middle boy (now 3) and I'm currently using them with my 5-month old. And I LOVE them! And I just wanted to encourage you to keep going. :) I have had fewer than 5 leaks/blowouts with them in 5 months and I almost exclusively use prefolds with Thirsties & Bummis covers. Anyway, if you have questions or want info on anything (we have a couple great diaper stores here in Oregon that also sell online), e-mail me gail@artman.biz. Good luck!