My new Menu Planning Binder: This is only my first month to use it, so we will see how it goes. I got the step-by-step instructions from Menu Maker Mom. I think my favorite idea is assigning each night a "theme". It is a lot easier to plan a month of meals when every Friday is pizza night and every Wednesday is Mexican. At the moment, my binder only has a few recipes in it. I don't have the time or energy to get it all done at one time. Every time I make a recipe, I will write it down and file it in my binder.
Freezer Cooking: Last year, I did a few "marathon cooking days" where I cooked all weekend to prepare and freeze most of our meals for the month. It was much like the ladies at Once a Month Mom, except they are awesome at it. I loved it! It worked out great and we really enjoyed the meals. The major downfall for me is that I work most weekends. I don't want to spend possibly the only weekend I get off in a month stuck in the kitchen when I could be with my boys.
So now, what I have started to do is "mini sessions".
Pork
Kroger had Boneless Pork Roasts on sale for $1.99/lb. I cut it into chops, prepared and froze 4 meals. I made: Crockpot Saucy Pork Chops, Make-Ahead Breaded Pork Chops X2 & Orange-Apricot Pork Chops
Chicken
When Split Chicken Breasts go on sale for $.97/lb, I cook them, shredded the meat and freeze some meals. Last week, I added Poppy Seed Chicken and Chicken & Dumplings to the freezer. When family size packages of Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts are on sale I always buy several. When I get them home, I split them up into meal portions and freeze them in marinade.
Ground Beef
When Ground Beef goes on sale for $1.89/lb (it is almost always the family size packages), I buy at least one and cook it all in one day. I brown it with carrots, celery, & onion which makes it healthier and also makes it go further. I package into meal size portions and freeze.
Ham
Sunday, I am cooking this massive ham that I know we will barely take a dent out of. I plan on trying out a few of these recipes and freezing. Hammy Cheese, Ham and Hashbrown Bake, or Ham & Potato Pockets
Baking
A few other things that I like to do is freeze baked goods. When I find bananas marked down to $.39/lb, I buy a ton and make Banana Muffins. I freeze them and when ever Caleb wants a muffin I just microwave it for 30 seconds and he has a homemade snack. Today, I cooked up 10+ slices of French Toast and flash froze them. You just reheat like you would a frozen waffle and enjoy :)
I hope this was helpful. I would be glad to answer any questions. Oh, and I can't believe that I still have not taken Jonah's 8 month pictures!! What a horrible mommy I am! I will try and correct that tomorrow so watch for a post about our 8 month-old boy.
Freezer Cooking: Last year, I did a few "marathon cooking days" where I cooked all weekend to prepare and freeze most of our meals for the month. It was much like the ladies at Once a Month Mom, except they are awesome at it. I loved it! It worked out great and we really enjoyed the meals. The major downfall for me is that I work most weekends. I don't want to spend possibly the only weekend I get off in a month stuck in the kitchen when I could be with my boys.
So now, what I have started to do is "mini sessions".
Pork
Kroger had Boneless Pork Roasts on sale for $1.99/lb. I cut it into chops, prepared and froze 4 meals. I made: Crockpot Saucy Pork Chops, Make-Ahead Breaded Pork Chops X2 & Orange-Apricot Pork Chops
Chicken
When Split Chicken Breasts go on sale for $.97/lb, I cook them, shredded the meat and freeze some meals. Last week, I added Poppy Seed Chicken and Chicken & Dumplings to the freezer. When family size packages of Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts are on sale I always buy several. When I get them home, I split them up into meal portions and freeze them in marinade.
Ground Beef
When Ground Beef goes on sale for $1.89/lb (it is almost always the family size packages), I buy at least one and cook it all in one day. I brown it with carrots, celery, & onion which makes it healthier and also makes it go further. I package into meal size portions and freeze.
Ham
Sunday, I am cooking this massive ham that I know we will barely take a dent out of. I plan on trying out a few of these recipes and freezing. Hammy Cheese, Ham and Hashbrown Bake, or Ham & Potato Pockets
Baking
A few other things that I like to do is freeze baked goods. When I find bananas marked down to $.39/lb, I buy a ton and make Banana Muffins. I freeze them and when ever Caleb wants a muffin I just microwave it for 30 seconds and he has a homemade snack. Today, I cooked up 10+ slices of French Toast and flash froze them. You just reheat like you would a frozen waffle and enjoy :)
I hope this was helpful. I would be glad to answer any questions. Oh, and I can't believe that I still have not taken Jonah's 8 month pictures!! What a horrible mommy I am! I will try and correct that tomorrow so watch for a post about our 8 month-old boy.








1 comment:
The french toast is such a good idea!
I do the same with waffles and pancakes-we eat them every Saturday. I will make a ton and freeze what is left over. Then, during the week, I will just pop them in the toaster oven.
I will have to try that with french toast, my family loves that and I like that the egg gives some added nutrition.
I am going to try those pork chop recipes, Clay loves them but I can never figure out what to do with them LOL.
I have tried the cooking for a month and you are right, it takes the whole weekend and I want to spend that time with my family! Right now I am home most nights and life isn't too busy so cooking every night isn't a big deal. HOwever, when the baby comes I will probably go back to cooking twice a week in large sessions.
Post a Comment