Wednesday, June 18, 2008

"She must be nuts!" Cloth Diapers- Part 1

I know even if you haven't said it, you are thinking it. Honestly, a year ago, I would have agreed with you. But yes, I am going to make every effort to cloth diaper Jonah. Gasp!!

I am going to have several posts on this topic, not to convert anyone, but to make sure you know that I am not crazy or delusional.

* What made me start thinking of using cloth diapers? I just happened upon the Diapering Your Baby message board on BabyCenter.com and was hooked. I was first drawn in by how adorable cloth diapers can be.

This is a onesize minkey diaper- it will fit newborn to toddler.

* Why am I going to do it? MONEY! I feel so extremely blessed that I am going to be home so much after Jonah is born (I still have to work, but hopefully less than 12hrs/week). So if that means that I change more diapers or do more laundry to contribute to the family finances then I will give it a try. Please don't think that we HAVE to cloth diaper to make ends meet, that is not the case, but I could not pass up the opportunity to save our family $1,000 or more/per year/per child.

I know that some may be putting together that I am a breastfeeding educator and the fact that I am going to cloth diaper and are thinking that I am going off the deep end. I promise you I am not some radical tree hugger. I am not a person that believes that the chemicals in disposable diapers are harmful to babies. I am also not doing this to jump on the "Green" bandwagon- although I do believe that God has called us to be good stewards of the earth and it is a nice bonus.

*You'll never stick with it! I will admit that I have never cloth diapered a baby before so there is a possibility that I may hate every moment of it. After hours and hours of research (remember I am a dork from way back), I don't think that will happen but I agree it may. Please know that I did not go into this lightly.

Some of the things that make me think that I can really do this is ....
1. I don't know if people remember that I make a living by changing diapers- I have seen more poop than most have seen in a lifetime.
2. It took us more than a year to get Caleb completely bowel movement trained- so I already have been dealing with poop in cloth (3 year old poop is no fun!).

That is it for now, but I will post more about how cloth diapers have become more modern and some of the common myths. Please post any questions.

1 comment:

jenny winstead said...

i'm rooting for you! and DAVE would be SO proud!! way to go!