Thursday, October 2, 2008

My strong willed child

Caleb is so very stubborn! I can't believe that he is only four years-old. Mike and I better get our rest now before his is a teenager!

All of this has to do with eating. Caleb is a very picky child and always has been. He has always been a healthy eater. He loves salads, veggies, fruits, and wheat bread (he refuses to eat white). Our problem has been protein, he does not eat hardly any meat, eggs or peanut butter. For awhile, we were letting him get away with this because he was getting protein through dairy products. Recently, he has started to eliminate more and more from his diet. When he told us that he wouldn't eat chicken nuggets anymore- we decided to put our foot down.

We set up new rules at the dinner table.
  • He must eat what is on his plate (I only put a small portion, not huge I promise) if he wants desert.
  • If he doesn't like what I have cooked, that is OK, he only has to take two bites.
  • If he takes his two bites, then he can finish the other things on his plate or mommy will make him a sandwich.
  • If he refuses to take two bites then he will sit at the table until it is bath time or bed time. No playing or watching TV.
Not too unreasonable, right? Well, this is where his strong will comes into play. These rules have been set up for almost two weeks and we have been very consistent. This boy of ours has refused to take two bites almost everyday! He was even at the table for over an hour the night we had homemade pizza!

But the last two nights have taken the cake! Tuesday night, I made Taco Crescent Roll Bake (totally unhealthy-crescent rolls, taco meat, sour cream, salsa and covered in cheese). This should be a four year-old's dream dinner- but not mine :) He ate a huge spinach salad but refused to take even one bite of the crescent rolls. After almost 90 min., we finally talked him into taking one bite. He put the bite in his mouth (it didn't even come off the fork) and he made himself gag until he threw up all over the dinner table! He did it again last night with Chili.

We have no plans of backing down. Most nights, Mike and I just look at each other and laugh. This strong will is what makes him the child we love so much but it sure makes life interesting. I wonder how long it will take before he learns?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have just described Tristan...Excpet the only things he will eat are these: Pop-tarts, PBJ, Mac & Cheese, Grilled Cheese, Ramen Noodles with (you guessed it) cheese, and Pizza. Oh, and cookies, candy, crackers, too. Junk, all junk.

Christy said...

You have just described Layton!!!

I was this way growing up. I remember sitting at the table at age four until midnight because I wouldn't touch the chicken noodle soup my mother had made!! I still will not eat it to this day LOL

BUT I do think you are doing the right thing and I think that he will eventually get over it. Laura Grace went through this somewhat at four and all of the other four year olds I have evern known have gone through this! Why? I have no clue.

Stick with your guns ;) He is one smart cookie!

Ashley said...

Can I have that taco casserole recipe? That sounds really good... :o)